Wednesday I got a letter in the mail from the Hospital where I am (was) scheduled to do a saturation biopsy of my prostrate. Hospital wanted to give me the heads up it would be just over $12,000 for their cut/ I could get a 20% discount if I paid it up front…bringing it down to under $10,000. This does not count the Urologist’s fee nor the anesthesiologist.
Just as soon as I opened the letter, I called the phone number. I have interacted with (4) different people in the past two weeks on the phone, all connected to the medical billing/financial aid, etc. In every case, they have went above and beyond what I would have expected.
Like many of you we have a high deductible ($10,000) and are currently on a monthly payment plan for (3) other medical related thing-a-ma-bobs…. and there is no more wiggle room in the DM discretionary fund for another payment plan for a medical bill.
It suggested I could put the bill on a credit card.
Not going to happen…
or take out a loan.
Not going to happen.
A saturation biopsy is where the urologist takes between 20 and 50 core samples of the prostate checking for cancer. The only 100% sure way to detect cancer of the prostrate is a saturation biopsy. (I’ve already had an MRI and 2 in-house biopsies, all coming back clear…and yet now my PSA number doubled in the past 6 months…something is afoot.)
If you’re a regular reader, you know I’ve had something like this done in the urologist’s office twice already, first with 8 samples and the second with 12. Not fun but I’m sure not as painful as delivering a baby with forceps.
When it comes to prostate cancer, it’s all about early detection. Once it breaks out of the prostate gland, you better have your affairs in order.
I woke up Friday morning and realized I just could not go through with the test, not knowing where we stand in terms of financial assistance with the hospital. (I submitted the necessary paperwork as soon as I found out I needed this procedure, but it normally takes 45 days to a decision.)
So I called Stacy, one of the nice people I’d already met in the hospital financial aid department.
She heard my story, got on the phone with their main office and asked because of the sensitive timing nature of this, if my application could be sped up. Bless her heart.
Yep. So now I wait to hear whether or not I qualify for a break. If not, I have just one other option to explore…see if the Urologist has any pain killing tricks in his bag, that would enable me to do a saturation biopsy in his office…
His cut in this whole thing was $910.00
A thousand dollars/ maybe $2000 I can handle..but more than that…not happening.
I was on-line late last night doing some reading/ research….sounds like it “might” be possible.
Writing this out, I’m not sure who in my blog audience is interested in these types of posts?
I hate to bore you with medical stuff..but I got to get this stuff out and on paper….Do you think I should start another blog or sit tight and wait to see what happens in the next few weeks?
I’ll close with a couple of pictures I took yesterday of some milkweed going to seed….